The introduction to the Church in Wales Marriage Service describes marriage as a gift from God.  The Bible teaches that marriage is a life-long, faithful union between a man and a woman, and compares married love with the love Jesus has for his people – a love expressed in his willing sacrifice of himself on the cross.


Jesus therefore sets the greatest example of unconditional, self-sacrificial love – a model that husband and wife can seek to follow in the way they love one another, each putting the other’s needs first.  At the heart of the marriage ceremony is the exchange of vows, in which a couple make a public declaration of lifelong commitment to love each other, whatever the future may bring.


Christians believe that in marriage we find the proper expression of our sexuality, a secure environment for bringing up our children, and an important element of stability for the wider community.



Marriage is a gift of God through which husband and wife may grow together in the knowledge, love and service of God. It is given that, united with one another in heart, in mind and in body, they may increase in love and trust. God joins husband and wife in life-long union as the foundation of family life (in which children are born and nurtured and) in which each member of the family, in good times and in bad, may find strength, companionship and comfort, and grow to maturity in love. Marriage enriches society and strengthens community.


from the Church in Wales order for Holy Matrimony

There are special guidelines on church marriage if you have been divorced (click on this link for FAQ).


The normal preliminary to getting married in the Church in Wales is by banns, the procedure of notifying people of your intention to marry. There are circumstances in which some form of licence, such as a Common Licence or Special Licence, is more appropriate. Your vicar or rector will advise you about this. More information about the various legal preliminaries to marriage is available from the Faculty Office website.


If you are thinking of a church wedding, you should contact your parish priest in the first instance. You can usually find the minister’s address and telephone number on the church noticeboard. You can also find the minister’s address and telephone number by searching for a church or a parish or searching for a a church close to you by entering your postcode on this website. In each case, following the link to details about the parish or church will show the contact details of the minister in charge.

Melanie Prince



Tel: 01446 719734


Click to email

Eligibility to Marry in Church


In order to get married in a particular church, one or both of the people wishing to marry must either live within the parish boundary, or

have a ‘qualifying connection’ as defined by the Marriage Act (Wales) 2010 which reads:


‘For the purposes of this section a person has a qualifying connection with a parish in which the marriage is to be solemnized if:

(a) that person was baptised in that parish (unless the baptism took place in a combined rite which included baptism and confirmation) or is a person whose confirmation had been entered in the register book of confirmation for any church or chapel in that parish;


(b) that person has at any time had his or her usual place of residence in that parish for a period of not less than six months;


(c) that person has at any time habitually attended public worship in that parish for a period of not less than six months;


(d) a parent of that person has during the lifetime of that person had his or her usual place of residence in that parish for a period of not less than six months or habitually attended public worship in that parish for that period; or


(e) a parent or grandparent of that person has been married in that parish.’


If none of these apply, the couple have the following options open to them:


1.‘habitually attend’ church (ie come to a Sunday service not less than once a month) for 6 months.  This must be completed BEFORE the banns can be called



2.One or both of the people to be resident within the parish for 15 consecutive days in the 12 weeks running up to the wedding.  They will then need to get a Common Licence from the Surrogate Registrar.


Apart from exceptional cases we don’t conduct weddings on a Wednesday or a Sunday


Facebook circle blue large
Facebook circle blue large

See also...

If you are browsing this site using a mobile phone, please click the link below to call our Vicar in Charge; Melanie Prince or dial 01446 719724.